Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween in Japan


I’ve never celebrated Halloween before coming here, so it was first time to celebrate Halloween. Halloween is popular in Japan, but we don’t hold parties and eat candies. I just can find some shops decollated Halloween style. There are a similar custom in Japan. However people don’t celebrate it, their ancestor’s soul come back that day. It happens in summer and all family members get together, then they pray in front of their family Buddhist alters. In my case, I’ve never done that. I think it is because this custom tends to disappear. I have to care about my ancestors, but I always don’t go my grandparent house and get together only because their house is very far from my house. For these reasons, I hadn’t known I’m a Buddhist until becoming a university student. Halloween is a very interesting celebration, so I want to celebrate like that in Japan. It is good for remember that day.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I like the picture! It sounds like you really enjoyed the holiday!